Lowndes/Richards unveil new Bond tribute for Retro Sandown

Craig Lowndes and Steven Richards will again compete with a Colin Bond retro livery at the Wilson Security Sandown 500.

The new look for the #888 Holden has been unveiled this morning ahead of Triple Eight’s test day at Queensland Raceway.

While last year saw the team adopt Bond's 1992 look, this year's features a mix of different design cues from the Bond era.

“The inspiration is the Colin Bond Caltex era of the late 1980s,” explained Lowndes. “It’s an amalgamation of everything that he did.”

“It’s no secret that last year’s Bathurst was very disappointing for us as a team, but we’ve made a lot of progress over the last few events and we’re feeling confident that we can get some strong finishes in the enduros,” Lowndes said.

“The long races suit me and I always really enjoy the endurance season. Knowing that we had the Bathurst win two years ago certainly does give me some confidence, but of course previous results have no bearing on our performance this year.”

Live Polls

Current polls are:

Bathurst 12 Hour

V8 Wingless Sprintcars

 

Speedway New Zealand Statement

The Board of Midas Speedway New Zealand acknowledges that the timing and the way we presented the new online safety training and test system was unsatisfactory, and we apologise for this error.

We have since consulted, and the majority of the feedback we have received shows that the concept is acceptable but not the manner in which it was delivered.

We have listened to that feedback and it has been agreed that the online training and test will remain available to our members for them to undertake, but on a voluntary basis. Details of those members who complete and pass the course will be held on file.

The content of this course is educational and does deliver information that will be of benefit to those competitors who choose to participate.

The data collected from course participants and an analysis of the information provided on the site will then be presented to the members in attendance at the 2018 AGM for their consideration.

With this matter now resolved, online licensing is once again live.

Regards
John McCallum
CEO

Midas Speedway New Zealand

Should the Aussie Sprintcar Title be open to ALL Competitors

Following on from Highline Magazine’s article on Sprintcar title eligibility, We’re interested in your thoughts.

Today we’re conducting a poll on the hottest subject in Australian Speedway.  “Should the Australian Sprintcar Title be open to ALL Competitors?”

Please have your say as we’d really appreciate it.

This poll has now closed.

92.3% were in favor

6.2% were not

1.5% were unsure.

More polls are available by clicking below.

 

Rossi OUT for Multiples Round

Following an enduro training accident on Thursday, August 31st, nine-time World Champion Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) was diagnosed with displaced fractures of the tibia and fibula of his right leg.

The injuries have been sustained to the same leg that he previously broke in his high-speed practice crash at Mugello in 2010.

That crash – which caused a displaced compound fracture to his tibia – put him out of the sport for 41 days.

Rossi is currently in Urbino Hospital, with the surgery likely to happen on Friday. It is understood that he was riding an enduro bike on a downhill section when the accident occurred.

Rossi’s father Graziano told ANSA: “Valentino is not optimistic. They fear there is a fracture. To do the radiograph they had to cut the boot, and Valentino told me he feels very bad.”

The 38-year-old, nine-time world champion is currently fourth in the MotoGP standings, having recently finished third at Silverstone.

His Yamaha team issued the following statement: “Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Team rider Valentino Rossi was involved in an enduro accident, during a training activity close to his hometown, on Thursday, August 31st.

“The 38-year-old Italian rider was taken to the 'Ospedale Civile di Urbino' for a check-up. A further medical bulletin will be issued in due course.”

Rossi had already sustained one motocross accident this year, suffering minor chest injuries in May.

Valentino will miss at lest the next couple of events.

SMP Tests Night Racing Option

Supercars drivers Fabian Coulthard and Simona De Silvestro are eager to tackle a night race at Sydney Motorsport Park next year after a special test under lights this evening.

The #12 Shell V-Power Ford and #78 Harvey Norman Nissan completed just under 30 minutes of night running at the Western Sydney venue.

Supercars will now debrief with the drivers and analyse the television footage captured ahead of a potential night event next year.

Temporary light towers were placed at turn 2 for the test and will be moved to other areas of the track later this evening for further running with the category’s Vodafone Safety Car.

The Safety Car was also on track with the two Supercars, driven by Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport's Alex Davison.

“The areas where it was lit up were awesome," Coulthard told Supercars Media after the run.

“We could have a few less shadows, but I think for the purpose of the experiment it was definitely worthwhile.

“It’s a new spectacle and it’s a great circuit to do it. It’s good viewing for the fans and I think the cars look fantastic under lights. I think it (a night race) will be a great spectacle.”

De Silvestro has experience racing IndyCars on ovals under lights and says it’s relatively easy for drivers to adapt to night conditions.

“It’s hard (to judge) because we only had one corner but I think the lighting was quite good,”